Re[1] Introduction

Thu Jan 10 18:52:24 CET 2002

    > card.. More precisely I would like to know whether I can put all
    > the card modules in a floppy disk and to detect any card
If you have a very big floppy ;-) The size of all ethernet driver is
too big for a normal floppy disk.

    > whatever weird it is.. I can even provide the user with a
    > bootable CD to do it in case the modules won't fit in a single
    > floppy disk
OK.

    > addresses using a standalone floppy disk, enter these MAC
Enter them by hand ? Typing MAC addresses takes much time and will
lead to typos. Also that does not scale if you have a cluster with hundreds
of nodes. It's better to use the hint in the manual using tcpdump -qte
Then the user has only to assign the AMC addresses to hostnames and IP
addresses. The dissatvantage with such a GUI tool is, that they don;t
work in all kind of environment. What if I;m using NIS or LDAP ?

--
 Thomas