Re[1] Re[1] Introduction

Hichame Jeffali hjeffali at caramail.com
Thu Jan 10 19:21:20 CET 2002

> > addresses using a standalone floppy disk, enter
these MAC
> Enter them by hand ? Typing MAC addresses takes much time
and will
> lead to typos. Also that does not scale if you have a
cluster with hundreds
> of nodes. It's better to use the hint in the manual using
tcpdump -qte
> Then the user has only to assign the AMC addresses to
hostnames and IP
> addresses. The dissatvantage with such a GUI tool is, that
they don;t
> work in all kind of environment. What if I;m using NIS or
LDAP ?
The end distribution will be a very custom product targeted
towared small
Moroccan business who want to protect their networks without
going into
the hassles of configuring linux and firewalls.. For example
we chose
Proftpd as an ftp server and postfix as a mailserver etc..
The firewall is
configured through a wizard and everything is collected
through a GUI..
It's all aimed to the technically unskilled sysadmins.. They
just need to
know the range of their assigned IP addresses and some
knowledge
about the purpose of each server and the whole architecture
behind it..
So entering MAC addresses won't be an obstacle since in all
cases they
won't have more than say 10 servers.. And also this is just
a method they
can follow and not the only one.. So this is a very specific
distrib..
Thanks for your help and I hope that one day even OpenBSD
could
use FAI
Hichame