Re[1] Introduction

Hichame Jeffali hjeffali at caramail.com
Thu Jan 10 18:42:41 CET 2002

> Just write a little hook which tries to load all network
card drivers
> and then look if new cards are detected. What about:
>
> for driver in `ls /lib/modules/2.2.19/net/*` ; do
> modprobe $driver
> # test if new ethernet device is found; use ifconfig or
dmesg,...
> done
I am assuming that FAI-BOOTP floppy failed to detect any
card
and thus we have no access yet to the install server.. This
happened
for me with a Compaq NetIntelligent 10/100 TX card.. More
precisely
I would like to know whether I can put all the card modules
in a
floppy disk and to detect any card whatever weird it is.. I
can even provide
the user with a bootable CD to do it in case the modules
won't fit in a
single floppy disk

> > floppy disk that just detects MAC addresses at
startup and for
> > example highlights them in red and then rebuild the
bootptab
> > file using a GUI. I would be interested to hear
about your

> Sine the bootptab is located on the install server, it's
impossible to
> change a file from an install server. What about
collecting MAC
> addresses on this floppy ?
I 'm working on a GUI center written in Tcl/Tk that assist
the user in
building FAI files from /etc/fai.conf to /etc/bootptab and
even starting
the NFS server and re-running make-fai-nfsroot whenever
needed..
In my case, the user can go collect the MAC addresses using
standalone floppy disk, enter these MAC addresses to the GUI
and associates to each one an IP number and a server name..
The GUI then generates configuration files and start the
install server..
Thanks for you advice
Hichame