lilo.conf not generated?

Chad Walstrom chewie at wookimus.net
Thu Aug 22 16:56:41 CEST 2002

Michael Renner <michael.renner at gmx.de>  wrote:
> Moin, why not! But what have I to do to install grup instead of lilo
> fully automatic
>
> by FAI? Any classes definitions? How to create the mbr entry whitout
> interaction?

[I'm going to send this to the list, too, since I just remembered that I
made some changes to the ./scripts/BOOT file to get this to work
cleanly.]

The MBR is created by grub.  You shouldn't have to worry too much about
that.  Make sure you specify the boot option for the partition that
contains the /boot directory.  Add the GRUB class to each machine in
your ./class directory/scripts.  Make sure you edit the
/etc/kernel-img.conf file to contain the following lines:

	# Do not create symbolic links in /
	Do_Symlinks = YES
	postinst_hook = /sbin/update-grub
	postrm_hook = /sbin/update-grub
	do_bootloader = NO
	image_in_boot = YES
	clobber_modules = YES
	do_bootfloppy = NO
	do_initrd = YES

Currently, we do this in the scripts/DEFAULT shell script with fcopy.
It may be more appropriate to do this before the installation step with
a hook.  Regardless, this will suppress most of the messages you get, it
will allow initrd images (that update-grub picks up nicely), and it will
allow kernel upgrades of the same kernel version and flavor (i.e.
2.4.18-686).

Now, we edited the scripts/BOOT file a bit.  It's still not perfect, but
it seems to work well.  This alters how grub's menu.lst is installed
with update-grub.  Instead of placing it in the body of this msg, I
attached it.

I don't recall if there was anything else special we had to do.  Try it
and see how it works.
--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie