FAI 2.0 released !

Tue May 15 15:04:07 CEST 2001

After four month of hacking, I'm very happy to release the next major
version of FAI before I'm going on vacation.

These are some major changes I made:

- added fcopy and ftar commands for easy copying files and extracting archives
- kernel 2.2.19 support
- less cfengine scripts, more shell scripts
- FAI is now more portable, tests on SUN Sparc went well
- package_config can use dpkg --get-selections format
- log file saving via rcp or scp
- much better manual
- new description of all classes available
- new cvs location (now at cvs.debian.org)
- the log files of two sample installations with FAI 2.0 are available
  on the FAI homepage.

And a lot of other things changed, so have a look at the changelog
file below. Many thanks to all, who gave bug reports, suggestions how
to enhance FAI or other feedback.

The main change is, that FAI is getting an official Debian package. I
hope it will be available on the Debian mirrors in a few weeks. This
will be announced in the mailing list. Get the new release at FAI
homepage

       http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai

Hints for upgrading
-------------------

If you want to upgrade from FAI 1.4.2 to FAI 2.0 you have to change
some things. I've changed certain simple things, cause I noticed that
they may be a bit confusing. Now variables and script names should be
more readable. And I promise, they will not change in near
future. These things have changed:

- all *.source scripts in /usr/local/share/fai/class are renamed to
  *.var, because they define variables
- the order of classes have changed
- Some class names changed
- some variable names in /etc/fai.conf changed

So if upgrading, you have to look at all your scripts in
/usr/local/share/fai/class and .../fai/script/. The format of the
files in ../fai/disk_config, ../fai/package_config and ../fai/files/
remained unchanged.

------------------------------
changelog:

fai (2.0) unstable; urgency=low

  * first upload to Debian archive
  * kernel-2.2.19 support
  * order of classes now (with increasing priority):
    DEFAULT, <other classes>, $HOSTNAME, LAST
  * architecture is now also a class (see S01alias.sh)
  * class/*.source renamed to class/*.var, because they define variables
  * new description of all classes
  * $moduleslist is the list of modules that will be loaded by the new system
  * names of examples changed to make them more comprehensible
  * FAI_PACKAGEDIR now FAI_DEBMIRROR
  * new fcopy script for copying files with classes
  * new ftar script for extracting tar files with classes
  * manual pages for fcopy, ftar
  * converted many cfengine scripts to shell scripts
  * several classes and scripts removed and rearranged
  * S90partitions.pl replaces the old shell version
  * add FAI_BOOTPART class and scripts
  * klogd, syslogd running during installation
  * make-fai-bootfloppy can take additional parameters for the kernel and
    supports multiple network interface cards
  * kernel append parameters define variables in rcS_fai
  * added subroutines isclass, rwmount
  * new command bootsector can enable, disable or list magic number of
    boot sector
  * make many variables local
  * better debugging of shell scripts
  * remote login has all subroutines available
  * faireboot -s saves log files to install server
  * sfdisk call removed from subroutines and Fai.pm, since it's not
    portable; unfortunately setup_hardisk still using it
  * new mount2dir command; this task is removed from setup_hardisk
  * files in package_config can use dpkg --get-selections format
  * redundant packages in package_config/COMPILE removed
  * PRELOADRM feature for package_config
  * comments in files in package_config/ are now everything after a #, not
    only at the beginning of a line
  * lvm not in nfsroot by default, grub now included
  * access from install clients to server can be done via rsh/rcp or
    ssh/scp (see fai.conf)
  * modprobe displays less errors
  * templates now stored in /usr/share/fai

 -- Thomas Lange <lange at debian.org>  Tue, 15 May 2001 14:28:31 +0200

--
Thomas
            Thomas Lange

1024D/AB9B66FD AEA6 A8C1 BD8E 67C4 8EF6  8BCA DC13 E54E AB9B 66FD