FAI as an CDROM installation system

Thu May 10 14:51:01 CEST 2001

    > Hello, I've just found your FAI software and it looks really
    > interesting.  I have to make an fully automatic installation
    > system to install many debian servers, but the only install
    > media I can use is a CDROM.  I also like to have few variable
    > parameters that the user set up while installation (for example
    > IP address, domain name, etc.).

A server without a network card ?? I've never seen such a server.
Do you rally have no network card in these computers ???

    > Is it possible with FAI ? Would you recommend it for these
    > expectations ?

Yes. It was never made before, but it should work. Create a bootable
CD with the FAI nfsroot and the configuration space available on
CD-ROM (one partition). Also the debian mirror must fit on this CD.
Then change some FAI scripts (rcS_fai), so you will be prompted for
the hostname (do you have a host name ?). The other parameters can be
requested in the scripts in /fai/scripts.

But why can't you use a network card just for the installation ?

--
 Thomas