RFC: How to improve Ubuntu support

Robert Markula robert at markula.org
Thu Nov 13 09:59:35 CET 2014

>>     > * Improve the example configuration
>>     > I see two ways of doing this. First make a second example "Ubuntu" or
>>     > just add all the necessary changes in comments. As one should look
>>     > through the configuration anyway this might be the solution that is
>>     > easiest to maintain.
>> We already have a package_config/UBUNTU in FAI. Is this not
>> sufficient? Sure the repository URLs are different for Ubuntu, but
>> this should be done in the FAI package for Ubuntu.

> Yes, your are right. I was thinking this through while reading [4] and
> somehow my brain went down the wrong road - our own config, which I
> inherited, is too far away from that example....

Just to chime in...

I think Moritz' proposal on getting current FAI packages into the
Ubuntu repositories is a great idea. FAI is a nightmare to configure
on Ubuntu, there are so many quirks and pitfalls there and the
documentation required to get it running is spread widely. A working
out-of-the-box solution would be such an improvement for everyone.

In the Wiki page [4] you mentioned I tried to stick as closely as
possible to the stock FAI configuration. All changes from the stock
FAI configuration are documented cleanly with appropriate classes
wherever possible. This eases transition and future upgrades. In fact,
I'm using FAI since quite a few years now over multiple upgrades and
this system has proven to be robust and scalable.

I'd recommend this path for the Ubuntu FAI packages as well in order
to facilitate upgrades for the maintainer on one hand and make it
easier for the users to work with this package on the other hand -
keeping closely in sync with the official documentation, examples on
the Wiki and the mailing lists. Introducing a whole new configuration
just for Ubuntu would somewhat 'break' this compatibility.

What else would be great would be a Ubuntu-specific readme in the
fai-server packages that gives a quick step-by-step-guide on how to
get everything up and running (take 'fai-setup -vl' as an example).

Cheers,

Robert

[4] http://wiki.fai-project.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_Linux_with_FAI