RFC: How to improve Ubuntu support

Moritz Struebe Moritz.Struebe at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Thu Nov 13 10:31:37 CET 2014

Hey.

Am 2014-11-13 um 09:59 schrieb Robert Markula:

> In the Wiki page [4] you mentioned I tried to stick as closely as
> possible to the stock FAI configuration. All changes from the stock
> FAI configuration are documented cleanly with appropriate classes
> wherever possible. This eases transition and future upgrades.

The problem with that page that I see is that the _changes_ are actually
not documented. It's rather a replace the contents of file X with Y. A
"replace line X with Y" or "remove XY", would IMO be more helpful.

> In fact, I'm using FAI since quite a few years now over multiple
> upgrades and this system has proven to be robust and scalable.

Actually this is because the config was kept quite stable.

> I'd recommend this path for the Ubuntu FAI packages as well in order
> to facilitate upgrades for the maintainer on one hand and make it
> easier for the users to work with this package on the other hand -
> keeping closely in sync with the official documentation, examples on
> the Wiki and the mailing lists. Introducing a whole new configuration
> just for Ubuntu would somewhat 'break' this compatibility.

I strongly disagree. As I already said, it's currently a "replace X with
Z". This could be simplified with copy example_ubuntu to ..... And I'm
not suggesting anything that isn't already there - at least in some way.

> What else would be great would be a Ubuntu-specific readme in the
> fai-server packages that gives a quick step-by-step-guide on how to
> get everything up and running (take 'fai-setup -vl' as an example).

Ideally there shouldn't be any difference....

Morty

--
Dipl.-Ing. Moritz 'Morty' Struebe (Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter)
Lehrstuhl für Informatik 4 (Verteilte Systeme und Betriebssysteme)

Tel   : +49 9131 85-25419
Fax   : +49 9131 85-28732
eMail : struebe at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
WWW   : https://www4.cs.fau.de/~morty