RFC: How to improve Ubuntu support

Moritz Struebe Moritz.Struebe at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
Fri Nov 7 17:44:32 CET 2014

Am 2014-11-07 um 13:23 schrieb Thomas Lange:
>     > I think we can take care of almost all issues at packaging time as
>     > described in [3].
> Nice link. I didn't know that this was possible.
> What are the current diffs in the packaging files for Ubuntu?

For my PPA none and the packages build and install just fine - the only
one I haven't installed yet is fai-quickstart. If I find some time I'll
move them to the "official" PPA.

>     > The only real adjustments required by the PPA are
>     > adding the PPA's URL and it's key to config and nfsroot.
> IMO this will be only a few lines of diffs. How do you like to handle
> those diffs in git?

Generally I'd like to avoid a second repo and rather use the techniques
described in [3]. And if that is not sufficient rather add a
configuration file that is adjusted before building.

If I find some time I'll also look into my "apt-get madison"* +
"apt-add-repository" idea. It would also allow to automatically add
http://fai-project.org/download  to the sources.list. Something like
apt-cache madison fai-client | head -n 1 | awk -F '|' '{print $3}' |
xargs apt-add-repository

* I had that wrong in my last mail

> I love to see an up-to-date FAI release for every Ubuntu LTS, maybe
> for every release. I prefer having this in universe instead of a
> PPA. But maybe we start with the PPA if this is easier for you.

Yes way PPA is easier. But once we got it working smoothly there, I
don't think it's a big issue to get it into universe. :)

Morty

--
Dipl.-Ing. Moritz 'Morty' Struebe (Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter)
Lehrstuhl für Informatik 4 (Verteilte Systeme und Betriebssysteme)

Tel   : +49 9131 85-25419
Fax   : +49 9131 85-28732
eMail : struebe at informatik.uni-erlangen.de
WWW   : https://www4.cs.fau.de/~morty