problems with lvm configurations

Joseph Rawson umeboshi3 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 12:47:19 CEST 2008

On Sunday 12 October 2008 05:03:48 Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> [...]
>
> > cool!  :)
> > I'll try them soon.  I just noticed that when switching from lvm back to
> > regular partitions does the same thing, but running vgremove before that
> > will work also.
> >
> > I was thinking that using lvm adds some extra complications to an install
> > policy, and I don't know what that policy is.  I still have yet to test
> > the preserve options, and I don't know what the behaviour should be when
> > you rename vg's and/or lv's.
>
> Currently there is no support for renaming vg's and/or lv's; we could maybe
> add that, but I didn't consider this that much of a common case.

I wasn't thinking as much about renaming vg's or lv's as much as installing
onto a system that already has them, and letting them be removed.  Only the
ones that are to be preserved would be renamed.  I don't really consider it a
common case either, but an administrator could come across a bad naming
scheme and want to rename the volumes (he may have made the bad names himself
and changed his mind later ;) ).

> > If you want, I can start writing a simple readme that will detail how
> > setup-storage works, and what it should do, and how to write the config
> > file. I looked at the wiki, and the documentation there is ok, but it
> > still leaves some important questions open.  I can also write straight to
> > the wiki, instead of a readme file, if you prefer.  Just let me know.
>
> Well, setup-storage has a man-page, so IMHO it would best fit in there (at
> some point in time the wiki page should get removed to make sure the
> man-page is the one and only authoritative point of information).
> Currently, however, the man-page is pretty much the same as the wiki page.
The last time I looked, the wiki had better examples, although they were just
examples and didn't really explain much. (I'm going to look at the wiki now).
I remember now, it's hard to find that page on the wiki, I had to search for
it.

You're right, all the examples are the same, except for the last one that has
raid+lvm together.

> You could of course feel free to prepare patches for the man-page, but I
> guess a README file would be a lot easier to write, and I'd integrate it
> with the man-page afterwards. Furthermore, the fai-guide could also be a
> nice point to include such kinds of information. Then, again, a README
> seems like a great start.

The reason that I was offering is because most of the explanation of how to
make the configuration is in the bnf part, with a few examples.  I was
thinking of making it a bit more human readable. Although I might not be able
to capture it as fully as the bnf, I can probably stress the main points.

The reason I was thinking of the README file, is because I've never written a
manpage before.  I may have an easier time adding to the guide.

--
Thanks:
Joseph Rawson