problems with lvm configurations

Michael Tautschnig mt at debian.org
Sun Oct 12 12:03:48 CEST 2008

[...]
> cool!  :)
> I'll try them soon.  I just noticed that when switching from lvm back to
> regular partitions does the same thing, but running vgremove before that will
> work also.
>
> I was thinking that using lvm adds some extra complications to an install
> policy, and I don't know what that policy is.  I still have yet to test the
> preserve options, and I don't know what the behaviour should be when you
> rename vg's and/or lv's.

Currently there is no support for renaming vg's and/or lv's; we could maybe add
that, but I didn't consider this that much of a common case.

> If you want, I can start writing a simple readme that will detail how
> setup-storage works, and what it should do, and how to write the config file.
> I looked at the wiki, and the documentation there is ok, but it still leaves
> some important questions open.  I can also write straight to the wiki,
> instead of a readme file, if you prefer.  Just let me know.

Well, setup-storage has a man-page, so IMHO it would best fit in there (at some
point in time the wiki page should get removed to make sure the man-page is the
one and only authoritative point of information). Currently, however, the
man-page is pretty much the same as the wiki page. You could of course feel free
to prepare patches for the man-page, but I guess a README file would be a lot
easier to write, and I'd integrate it with the man-page afterwards. Furthermore,
the fai-guide could also be a nice point to include such kinds of information.
Then, again, a README seems like a great start.

Thanks a lot,