problems with lvm configurations

Joseph Rawson umeboshi3 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 12 11:55:06 CEST 2008

On Sunday 12 October 2008 03:57:10 Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> [...]
>
> > I also tried using vgremove -f main and ran it after that.  It seems to
> > work like that, too.
> >
> > So, it seems to work fine on the first install, but fails if it
> > encounters existing vg's.
>
> Could you try the experimental6 packages available from
> http://fai.alioth.debian.org? These should fix the problem I asked you to
> patch and the additional ones reported in your logs. These should then not
> need the vgremove hack.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

cool!  :)
I'll try them soon.  I just noticed that when switching from lvm back to
regular partitions does the same thing, but running vgremove before that will
work also.

I was thinking that using lvm adds some extra complications to an install
policy, and I don't know what that policy is.  I still have yet to test the
preserve options, and I don't know what the behaviour should be when you
rename vg's and/or lv's.

If you want, I can start writing a simple readme that will detail how
setup-storage works, and what it should do, and how to write the config file.
I looked at the wiki, and the documentation there is ok, but it still leaves
some important questions open.  I can also write straight to the wiki,
instead of a readme file, if you prefer.  Just let me know.

--
Thanks:
Joseph Rawson