gpl header copyright bugfix for my old contributions ready to be merged

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Wed Jun 11 15:44:22 CEST 2008

Thomas Lange wrote:

> I also think that it make no sense to further discuss this via mail,
> because it too easy to misunderstand each other, so please let us do
> this in real live during the workshop.

I think it's probably unfair to discuss that on that workshop only,
because we cannot count on the mixture of people there being representative.

My opinion on this:

Without looking at the diffs from 2003 in detail, I believe that Henning
deserves a copyright notice, at least in the fai script itself - because
I believe that softupdate is a significant improvement and functionality
addition for FAI. Even if the actual code that came into FAI for
softupdate is a lot modfied from Henning's original proposal, it's the
result of the hard work of both of you at the first workshop.
The other larger contributions(in current, released, versions) I can
think of are the additions for version control systems for the
configspace - whoever made them, I think it's now you, Thomas.
Other ( I believer therefor smaller and ancient) contributions should
not be handled anymore.

Finding a general rule how and when people deserve being mentioned in
the copyright file to avoid complications in the future, is interesting
and important.

Before discussing it here in depth, we should probably look at how other
projects deal with such a topic, and, most important, we should agree
that we do not request Thomas to do all this for all past contributions,
but only in the future - when adding patches of people anyway, it should
be easy in the future to remember that their names must be mentioned
according to the rules.

Henning