addpackages removed in FAI 2.9?

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Wed Dec 28 18:54:25 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 18:36 +0100, Thomas Lange wrote:

> So it was removed even earlier. Maybe it was first removed from the
> *.var files, later it was also removed from the scripts, but I'm not
> sure. Variable substitution was also remove in packages_config. Have a
> look at the new examples, how a kernel is now defined.

Didn't look at the 2.8 changes, because with 2.8.4 it is still O.K.
This change in example config didn't hit me then - as we provide no way
to update the examples yet, I don't update examples in my config space
for my stable production environment.

hey, updating classes/examples would be really cool!

let's think about again of letting the FAI_CONFIGDIR start with a
directory of classnames, so classes are not spread all over the
configspace, but in a single directory hierarchy. That way, users can
swap classes much more easily, packages can be easily updated. If we
have a better place for our config dir, we could even pack classes in
packages, so they get individually updateable, installable, shareable
between users and developers!

Henning