[Fai-commit] r3015 - trunk/debian

Michael Tautschnig michael.tautschnig at zt-consulting.com
Mon Nov 7 23:53:05 CET 2005

[...]
> fai-quickstart is only meant as a quick step into FAI. Users should
> deinstall this package if the start creating their own config
> space. I know currently this is suboptimal, but I can live with it
> now. Any ideas for a message the will can printed when installing
> fai-quickstart? Or a more verbose package description? I do not like
> to use debconf for this now. Maybe later, if we have use use more
> debconf things. You remember our last attempt to include debconf into
> FAI :-( ?

Yes, I do... :-)

But back to our current issue: I don't think people will remove fai-quickstart
just before they start out doing their own configs; if I had installed
fai-quickstart, I'd most probably remove it once I do a bigger cleanup of my
package list and knew FAI pretty well, such that I don't need fai-quickstart
anymore, I've done my config after all ... and then I'd file a bug-report :-)

Why don't we ask

echo -n "Shall I do rm -rf $FAI_CONFIGDIR? " ; read answer
case $answer in
  y*|Y*)
    rm -rf $FAI_CONFIGDIR
    ;;
  *)
    echo "$FAI_CONFIGDIR left untouched."
    ;;
esac

IMHO an important aspect is that we literally ask for "rm -rf $FAI_CONFIGDIR" to
let the user see what we are going to do - has anyone of you ever wrote a script doing
"rm -r ${x}*" (and you were damn sure, ${x} could never be empty...) :-)

Best regards,