[Fai-commit] r3015 - trunk/debian

Henning Sprang henning_sprang at gmx.de
Mon Nov 14 22:37:28 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-07 at 23:53 +0100, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > fai-quickstart is only meant as a quick step into FAI. Users should
> > deinstall this package if the start creating their own config
> > space. I know currently this is suboptimal, but I can live with it
> > now. Any ideas for a message the will can printed when installing
> > fai-quickstart? Or a more verbose package description? I do not like
> > to use debconf for this now. Maybe later, if we have use use more
> > debconf things. You remember our last attempt to include debconf into
> > FAI :-( ?
> >

> Yes, I do... :-)

about debconf usage:

I think for any interactions with the user, debconf is a good choice,
for example because of the localisation functions, and the configurable
user interface for the questions.
The trouble we had with debconf was that we did strange/wrong things
according to some debconf answers and tried to use it as a configuration
database. (BTW where is Debian's configuration database if it's not
debconf?)

> But back to our current issue: I don't think people will remove fai-quickstart
> just before they start out doing their own configs; if I had installed
> fai-quickstart, I'd most probably remove it once I do a bigger cleanup of my
> package list and knew FAI pretty well, such that I don't need fai-quickstart
> anymore, I've done my stuffconfig after all ... and then I'd file a bug-report :-)
>
> Why don't we ask
>
> echo -n "Shall I do rm -rf $FAI_CONFIGDIR? " ; read answer
> case $answer in
>   y*|Y*)
>     rm -rf $FAI_CONFIGDIR
>     ;;
>   *)
>     echo "$FAI_CONFIGDIR left untouched."
>     ;;
> esac
>
> IMHO an important aspect is that we literally ask for "rm -rf $FAI_CONFIGDIR" to
> let the user see what we are going to do - has anyone of you ever wrote a script doing
> "rm -r ${x}*" (and you were damn sure, ${x} could never be empty...) :-)

again not exactly an easy thing we do because of a debconf answer...

Henning