fai package splitting

Henning Glawe glaweh at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 17 19:59:11 CEST 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 05:37:41PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Monday 17 October 2005 16:12, Henning Glawe wrote:
> > some remarks:
> > - fai-nfsroot: your fai-nfsroot package is as dangerous as mine; installing
> >   this to a working system will make it unbootable (due to the diversion of
> >   start-stop-daemon). there should be some sanity check to prevent this:
> >   debconf could help, though hacky:
> >
> >   * qustion "do you want to destroy your system?", default no, priority low
>
> That question is certainly badly worded :)

guess why ;)

> But I'm not sure if a better wording is what we need. Why not have a
> postinst-script which only executes the "potentially bad things" if it finds
> signs of a chroot which was created by make-fai-nfsroot ?
>
> Say, make-fai-nfsroot touches /etc/fai/this-is-a-fai-nfsroot and then the
> preinst-script checks if that exists. If not, it fails and aborts.
>
> Preinst should be even better than postinst...

if you want to fail in a 'hard' way, yes.
the problem is: any package should at least be installable, so it could be
checked by automatic deb checkers as piuparts; it just shouldn't do anything
harmful ;)
if put /sbin/start-stop-daemon.fai into the package and dpkg-divert and
symlink it in postinst (depending on something, be it a debconf answer or a
file somewhere), you are on the safer side...

--
c u
henning