fai package splitting

Henning Glawe glaweh at physik.fu-berlin.de
Mon Oct 17 16:12:55 CEST 2005

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 06:29:12PM +0200, Thomas Lange wrote:
> I have put some new Debian packages (for testing purpose only) into
> http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/download/developers.
> (fai-kernel.. are some the old packages)
>
> These show the new splitting of the fai package into several
> packages. I'm thinking about moving the simplex examples from the
> fai-doc packages to fai-quickstart, but I'm not sure if this makes
> sense. What do you think?

some remarks:
- fai-nfsroot: your fai-nfsroot package is as dangerous as mine; installing
  this to a working system will make it unbootable (due to the diversion of
  start-stop-daemon). there should be some sanity check to prevent this:
  debconf could help, though hacky:

  * qustion "do you want to destroy your system?", default no, priority low

  * do the diversions only if the answer is 'yes'

  * let make-fai-nfsroot communicate with the package vie debconf-preseeding

- fai-client vs. fai-server: /etc/fai/fai.conf should go into fai-client;
  it's needed by softupdates

- migration path from the old 'fai' package?

- what do the ftp-masters think about a bunch of really small packages?

--
c u
henning