FAIwiki Copyrights

risc at volumehost.com risc at volumehost.com
Fri Aug 5 22:42:43 CEST 2005

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 05:29:20PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 05:15:54PM +0200, Henning Sprang wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 16:24 +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
>  <snip/>
> > >
> > > The wiki is at http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de
> > >

> > > IANAL & AFAIK there are about five versions of the Creative Commons License.
> > > Some of them are very restricting. e.g. "don't modify my beautiful
> > > painting". But a wiki is about allow others to modify ( improve it )
> >
> > "creative commons attribution 2.5" is one of these, that one that allows
> > absolute freedom apart from the original author must be mentioned. Sorry
> > for not posting a link to it and to the faiwiki copyright page, here
> > they go:
> >
> > http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/
> >
> > http://faiwiki.informatik.uni-koeln.de/index.php/FAIWiki:Copyrights
>
> | Attribution 2.5
> |
> | You are free:
> |
> |     * to copy, distribute, display, and perform the work
> |     * to make derivative works
> |     * to make commercial use of the work
> |
> | Under the following conditions:
> | by
> | Attribution. You must attribute the work in the manner specified by the
> | author or licensor.
> |
> |     * For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the
> |     * license terms of this work.
> |     * Any of these conditions can be waived if you get permission from
> |     * the copyright holder.
> |
> | Your fair use and other rights are in no way affected by the above.
> |

> Sounds reasonable to me.
>

> Cheers
> Geert Stappers

I was sitting arround, concidering placing some content in the wiki, when i started concidering licensing issues, reguarding code in the wiki.

as we have a 'user classes' and 'user scripts' section, i think its quite relevent.

If i cut-and paste sections of code out of my /usr/local/share/fai directory, whats the licecnse?
I mean, i can always release relevant code elsewhere under the GPL, nothing stops me from doing it, however...

say joe_user cuts-and-pastes in some interesting code. the CCL requires atribution, the GPL does not.
does this have the effect that we cannot use this code in FAI itsself?
and what about my /usr/local/share/fai code? its mostly a derivitive of the examples given. am i breaking the GPL by pasting in my script to the website?

these questions disturb me. I now let them disturb everyone else. ;)

Julia Longtin <risc at volumehost.com>