RAID + UEFI

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Wed Sep 20 10:13:24 CEST 2023

On Wed, 2023-09-20 at 09:52 +0200, Diego Zuccato wrote:
> TL;DR: IMO having /boot/uefi on (sw) RAID1 is not worth the headaches.
> Long version follows.
>
> That's quite normal. You should use older RAID format that places
> metadata at the end of the partition instead of the newer that places it
> at the beginning. And even so it's risky, since one of the partitions
> could get modified by other systems (the BIOS, for example) that aren't
> RAID-aware (that's also one of the reasons that lead to the newer
> format...).

Yeah, I tried the older RAID formats, didn't work. ;)

What I have considered is having a hook that copies /boot/efi from the
"primary" drive to the "secondary". But I'm not sure how safe that is in
reality.

> Since you're using FAI, it's probably faster to just completely
> reinstall the system (possibly preserving data partition(s)) than
> risking RAID desync and related headaches. To keep the disk partitions
> aligned, you could use the "mirror" space for an extra swap partition :)

Heh, maybe. :)

We're just going through and rebuilding a bunch of servers now. Better than
doing a dist-upgrade.

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand
andrew at etc.gen.nz         |