RAID + UEFI

Diego Zuccato diego.zuccato at unibo.it
Wed Sep 20 09:52:37 CEST 2023

TL;DR: IMO having /boot/uefi on (sw) RAID1 is not worth the headaches.
Long version follows.

That's quite normal. You should use older RAID format that places
metadata at the end of the partition instead of the newer that places it
at the beginning. And even so it's risky, since one of the partitions
could get modified by other systems (the BIOS, for example) that aren't
RAID-aware (that's also one of the reasons that lead to the newer
format...).

Since you're using FAI, it's probably faster to just completely
reinstall the system (possibly preserving data partition(s)) than
risking RAID desync and related headaches. To keep the disk partitions
aligned, you could use the "mirror" space for an extra swap partition :)

Diego

--
Diego Zuccato
DIFA - Dip. di Fisica e Astronomia