Automatically disabling PXE boot

Diego Zuccato diego.zuccato at unibo.it
Wed Jun 7 09:45:48 CEST 2023

Hello all.

I'm returning to FAI after being forced to use xCat (long & sad story...
short version: I didn't like it).
One of the features of xCat (possibly the only one I liked...) is that I
can avoid touching BIOS configuration on the client, leaving it to
always try PXE first and fallback to HDD when PXE fails. That does have
the advantage that I don't need IPMI or a tech near a crashed system:
it's enough to have someone that can press the 'reset' button (or a
cheap switched plug).

IIUC hooks are run on the system being installed, so I could use LAST
hook to somehow signal FAI host to run "fai-chboot -d host". But that
would leave DHCP server sending a DHCP OFFER for a PXE boot that's been
disabled. Maybe I'm reinventing the wheel, but couldn't find anything.

Any hints?

TIA.

--
Diego Zuccato