Create fai-cd for other architecture?

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Wed Jan 25 13:43:30 CET 2023

On Wed, 2023-01-25 at 13:04:44 +0100, Steffen Grunewald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got an ARM64 server that doesn't do PXE properly, and (of course...)
> I don't have a second ARM64 machine at hand to prepare a FAI CD.
> The NFSROOT already exists.
> Is it possible to run fai-cd on AMD64, with some setup/config tricks, to
> create an ISO image that can be booted on the ARM machine, or do I have
> to find something with the right architecture (a RasPi running Debian
> probably would do)?

Answering myself:
Cross-platform doesn't work since "grub-mkstandalone" would throw an
"exec format error".
Running "fai-cd" on arm64 doesn't work since it has x86_64 and i386 hardcoded.

Any alternative to create a bootable stick for this arm64 machine, to
mount a remote nfsroot and access a remote config tree?
(Just take an installer stick image and replace the kernel and initrd,
and provide a kernel commandline?)

- S