fai-make-nfsroot docs and missing reboot

Robert Markula robert at markula.org
Tue May 31 12:23:07 CEST 2022

Hi Diego,

> Moreover, at the end of the install, after saying there were no
> errors, FAI asked to press ENTER to reboot, but IIUC that should me
> automatic, w/o manual confirmation: docs at
> https://fai-project.org/fai-guide/#_a_id_faiflags_a_fai_flags says
> that "If no errors occurred, the client will always reboot
> automatically." and that seems not to be the case (but it's exactly
> what I wanted: no error = boot into newly installed SO w/o any
> interaction, while specifying 'reboot' seems to suggest that it
> reboots also in case of errors).

In your template (e.g. /srv/tftp/fai/pxelinux.cfg/DEFAULT.tmpl or
whereever your tftp root lies) you have to add 'reboot' to your
'FAI_FLAGS'. My DEFAULT.tmpl looks like this:

<snip>
# generated by fai-chboot for host default with IP no IP
default fai-generated

label fai-generated

kernel vmlinuz-4.19.0-17-amd64
append initrd=initrd.img-4.19.0-17-amd64 ip=dhcp
root=10.12.0.1:/srv/fai/nfsroot:vers=3 rootovl
FAI_FLAGS=verbose,sshd,createvt,reboot
FAI_CONFIG_SRC=nfs://10.12.0.1/srv/fai/config FAI_ACTION=install
</snip>

'sshd' allows me to SSH into the machine during install, with 'createvt'
I can switch to a dedicated virtual terminal during install and 'reboot'
instructs FAI to reboot at the end of the installation process instead
of waiting for someone to press 'enter'.

Robert