UEFI boot order, Re: Tip: Remote FAI install

Thomas Lange lange at cs.uni-koeln.de
Fri Sep 17 11:24:52 CEST 2021

    > That would either involve additions to GRUB_EFI/10-setup itself, or two
    > extra scripts 09-x and 11-x which would have to communicate e.g. via
    > ${LOGDIR}/bootorder ...
    > I can imagine using an extra class, e.g. RESTORE_UEFI_ORDER, to make this
    > optional (but I can't see the drawbacks of doing it by default).

Hi Steffen,

I also had this problem with my UEFI machines. Currently I delete the
first boot entry manually, which is "boot Debian from disk".

    > Thomas, does this make sense?
Totally.

I was thinking of a small shell script that moves the network boot
entry in the UEFI BootOrder to the first place, without deleting the
"boot Debian from disk" entry. I had not time to implement it yet.
But maybe just restoring the original boot order is also a good
solution.

I hope we get more feedback on what should be the default behaviour
in FAI.

--
beste regards Thomas