FAI with pre-release bullseye yielding inconsistent network names

Thomas Lange lange at cs.uni-koeln.de
Mon Jan 18 18:23:05 CET 2021

    > I do the initial FAI imaging using a buster NFS root and install buster
    > in /target. When I then run "chroot /target udevadm info
    > /sys/class/net/eth0" I see about 27 lines including a bunch of
    > ID_NET_NAME_* values.

    > I do the above again, but this time with a bullseye NFS root and install
    > bullseye in /target. When I then run "chroot /target udevadm info
    > /sys/class/net/eth0" I see only about 6 lines and, in particular, no
    > ID_NET_NAME_* values.

I booted a KVM machine with a bullseye nfsroot.
I see 6 lines when FAI_ACTION=install but 27 lines when
FAI_ACTION=inventory. Very strange.

I found out that "udevadm trigger" is executed when doing the
inventory but not when doing the installation.

I will think about where to put the missing udevadm trigger call.