Package dependency problems

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Jan 10 20:52:51 CET 2020

Well, apt-rdepends says its gnome. I am going to check what happens if I
do not ask it to install gnome but I think it will be bad.

The problem is that when it tries to install the chromium-browser
package,  it tries to contact something called the "snap store". It
keeps trying for 30 minutes.  So its adding 30 minutes to every install.
 From a typical software.log:

Installing the chromium snap
Checking connectivity with the snap store
Unable to contact the store, trying every minute for the next 30 minutes

Apparently snaps are cross-platform package containers. You have to run
the snapd daemon to talk to the snap store but the daemon won't run in a
chroot environment.

# systemctl start snapd
Running in chroot, ignoring request: start

So it looks as if there is no way to install chromium-browser in fai and
no way to avoid it either.