Enable WiFi connectivity in NFSROOT

Mike Gabriel mike.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Wed Apr 8 12:46:33 CEST 2020

Hi Thomas, hi all,

I am currently working on deploying ~100 tablets (Dell Venue 8 Pro)
with a stripped down GNOME based on Debian testing via FAI.

As the devices don't have a LAN port, I'd like to deploy them via USB
flashdrives (using fai-cd). During the installation there is one step
that I need network connectivity for. Ideally, under the IP, MAC and
hostname that the tablet will use later on: At the end of the FAI
installation I register the new device against a puppet server.

For the initial installation we use USB-C consoles (currently with
USB-A ports and a RJ45 LAN port).

However, I'd love to get rid of the requirement of a LAN port for
deploying these tablets. Here is my question:

Is it possible to weave a working WiFi setup into the NFSROOT? Like
having network-manager, wpasupplicant and one system-wide wifi
connection setup for Network Manager?

If that was possible, I could deploy those tablets via USB
flashdrives, enable WiFi in the NFSROOT, register against the puppet
server with correct IP, MAC and hostname; and I am done.

Another advantage would be cost-specific (not a big issue, though):
the LAN port on the currently used USB-C consoles (USB-C <-> USB-A +
LAN) would not be needed. We'd plan buying several of those for faster
deployment of those ~100 devices (more expected to come).

Looking forward to any feedback, and hoping that all FAI users and
devs are still healthy!

light+love
Mike (aka sunweaver at debian.org)
--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
c\o Technik- und Ökologiezentrum Eckernförde

GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22  0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31