MD devices are not wiped if LVM exists

tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee tt-fai at kky.ttu.ee
Wed Jul 3 16:15:04 CEST 2019

Hello,

I have, for a long time, had a separate FAI action around, which I call “cleandisks”. This makes re-installing a lvm- and/or raid-equipped host a two stage process:

1) Boot into FAI_ACTION=cleandisks. Let the script wipe the disks.

2) Reboot into install. During this boot, the kernel should find clean disks and not make any assumptions about earlier states of the disks.

The functionality of the script is similar to that of Andrew's WIPEDISKS, but let me copy it here (with some sanitation) for reference:

case `hostname` in

    some_sample_host)

        # This needs to be set up for each host, by looking at its configuration prior to reinstall.

        # Non-existent disks, partitions, etc, will not hurt in most cases, so better err in the direction of too many.

        LV_LIST="lv1"

        MD_LIST="md0 md1 md126 md127"

        DISK_LIST="sda sdb"

        PART_LIST="sda1 sdb1 sda3 sdb3"

        ;;

    […]

esac

lvdisplay

# Repeat all this twice!

for round in 1 2 ; do

    for LV in $LV_LIST

    do

        vgremove -f $LV

    done

    for MD in $MD_LIST

    do

        mdadm --remove /dev/$MD

        mdadm --stop /dev/$MD

    done

    for PART in $PART_LIST

    do

        mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/$PART

        mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/$PART

    done

   for DISK in $DISK_LIST

    do

       dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/$DISK bs=10240 count=100000

    done

done

lvdisplay

This is a lot of overkill, and some of the commands fail, especially on the second round, but this way I have always got rid of all the old data on the disks and booted into a problem-free reinstall.

Hoping this helps,

Toomas