MD devices are not wiped if LVM exists

Jerry Steele ticktockhouse at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 14:07:38 CEST 2019

Moving away from Andrew's WIPEDISKS script for a second, I have made a
simple script containing just

vgdisplay

The output from this is null, suggesting that FAI does not see any LVM
stuff at this stage, however after it has completed these bits of the
disk_config,

Executing: wipefs -af /dev/sdb1
Executing: wipefs -af /dev/sda1
Executing: wipefs -af /dev/sdd1
Executing: wipefs -af /dev/sdc1
Executing: mdadm --stop --scan
Executing: mdadm --assemble --scan --config=/tmp/fai/mdadm-from-examine.conf
Executing: mdadm -W --stop /dev/md0
Executing: mdadm -W --stop /dev/md2

... the LVM volumes are visible again (I can't grab the ouput of
"vgdisplay", but it shows the volume groups). I'm guessing that this shows
that the LVM metadata is immune to the wipefs stuff.

I have to stop looking at this for the moment, but I'll see if I can pick
it up later and report back (unless anyone else has come across this and
can report back, of course)

Thanks for your help so far guys..

--
---