UEFI issues booting into FAI sysinfo on Dell PowerEdge

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Mon Sep 3 14:26:49 CEST 2018

Hello,

I've been using FAI for years now, and could always avoid UEFI - until last
week when a coworker asked me to "quickly" run a sysinfo for one of his new
machines.
Of course, it comes with UEFI activated.
After finding how to distinguish between BIOS and UEFI PXE requests, and
setting up the DHCP/TFTP server accordingly, it was only "yet another step"
to find and add ldlinux.e64 to get the machine booting.
It requests the kernel, and loads it.
It requests the initrd, and hangs doing so.
/var/log/daemon shows both requests and nothing more after them.

There's a warning
 "core_udb_sendto: stalling on configure with no mapping"
further up the boot screen, but I'm not sure it'd be related.

The corresponding pxelinux.cfg file was created once, worked in legacy mode.

Unfortunately, UEFI-related FAI documentation is very sparse, and I may have
overlooked something?
Machine is a Dell one (if this makes a difference), PowerEdge R840.

Fortunately, the machines were able to boot in legacy mode, so the goal was
reached to a major extent (I couldn't test EFI detection though, not run
"efibootmgr -v" within one of the class scripts).

Any suggestions what to try next?

Thanks,
 Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald, Cluster Administrator
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute)