Network interface names

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Fri Oct 12 17:09:36 CEST 2018

Hi,

I've learned that I may "fix" the device interface names using a rules file
in /etc/udev/rules.d, to avoid susprises after the installation.
While adding some special parameters to the kernel command line didn't work,
udev does its job reliably outside of FAI.
What I still haven't found is which magic FAI uses to avoid the renaming
to "predictable network interface names" (a term that's completely misleading
to me as I'm unable to predict the network names if I'm given a brand-new
machine). Thomas, can you shed some light on this?
My plan is to read the (old-style) interface names assigned by FAI, then
create a $target/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file from that
information. Is there a hidden trap? When is it best to write that file?

Thanks,
 Steffen