FAI disk_config without partition table

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Wed Oct 10 10:15:12 CEST 2018

On Wed, 2018-10-10 at 08:30:07 +0200, Jan Peters wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to the fai project and have a question about disk configuration. Is it possible to create partitions from other blockdevices without a partition table?
>
> Example:
>
> disk_config sda align-at:1M disklabel:msdos bootable:1 fstabkey:uuid
>
> primary /      0-       ext4  rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro
>

> disk_config sdb
>
> primary /opt   0-     ext4  rw,noatime,nodev
>
> Unfortunately i didn't find anything in the documentation or maybe overlooked it.

Hi Jan,

partitions without a partition table? I may have missed a detail, but how should
this work (i.e. how would the OS know about partitioning without reading a MBR
or GPT)?
If you want to use a full disk "as is", without partitioning, e.g. in a mdraid,
that would be something like this:

disk_config sda
raw-disk - 0 - -
disk_config sdb