Install ZFS root with FAI?

Steffen Grunewald steffen.grunewald at aei.mpg.de
Fri Oct 5 09:04:27 CEST 2018

Good morning,

once again I have browsed multiple years of the list archive, without finding
anything useful, but it's Firday and I may have gone blind over the past week.

What I'm looking for is FAI installation details to set up a root filesystem
on ZFS (two mirrored disks, possibly one spare) on a number of new machines.
(I know that FAI isn't mandatory for this, but never underestimate the
documentation effect of having the proper classes.)

- Which additions to the nfsroot are required / recommended?
- Which packages must be added to the machine package configuration?
- Which hooks should I use to create the root filesystem?

There must be recipes already existing - I'm perhaps just unable to find them
(I have found the zfsonlinux wiki pages, but they don't know about FAI; and
the only place where ZFS is mentioned on fai-project.org is the roadmap.)

Any pointer is appreciated.

Thanks,
 Steffen

--
Steffen Grunewald, Cluster Administrator
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute)