Lenovo M720S boot problem

Nicolas Renault - OPENinfo nicolas.renault at openinfo.fr
Fri Nov 16 10:17:11 CET 2018

I renew my question as it does not appear on the list

I add some more information.

Le 15/11/2018 à 17:18, Nicolas RENAULT a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> we have a problem with a working FAI installation :
>
> FAI 5.7 is used to install ubuntu 16.04 & 18.04 and debian stretch.
>
> fai was made with a debian stretch, but for now it's installed on
> debian  5.
>
> works on lot of pc/server :
>
> * install debian stretch
>
> * install ubuntu 16.04 and 18.04
>
> but we received a new model Lenovo M720s  Machine Type = 10ST Product
> ID   = 10STS0KD00.
>
> core i3 8th / 8 Go ram / ssd M2 nvme.
>
> we change bios to use legacy
>
> when we try to install , it's hang at boot  (before fai start , it's
> during the hardware detection ) , we boot with kernel 4.9.0-8-amd64
> (from fai-setup)
>
> we try to install on a working M710s => ok then push the disk on the
> M720s ==> it's working  (kernel 4.15.0-39-generic x86_64 of ubuntu
> after install).
>
> We try add option on boot ( noapic , no lapic, nomodeset , acpi=off ,
> ...) without success.
>
> the last message on console is   " [ 2.XXXXX ] clocksource: switched
> to clocksource tsc  "
>
> We thinks that this message is good but after that, the boot process
> hang. perhaps on disk or others hardware (video /network / ..) detection.
>
> Did Someone as an idea on how we can complete the boot ?
>
> let me known if you want more information.

We try to install an ubuntu 18.04 and just copy kernel  (
4.15.0-29-generic)

when we boot the M720s with this kernel the boot continue and then we
have another problem ; on the fai server it mount the nfsroot  but in
server log we see crash of nfs and then the /var/lib/fai/config  was not
mounted.

at the end of boot , the FAI process don't start ( ko , the config is
not ok ), we can log into the M720s ssh and we can see /dev/nvme0

the fact that  the initrd and kernel we used are not generated by
fai-setup is a problem ?

someone knew kernel / nfs options that can avoid crash ?

> Regards.
>
> Nicolas
>
> (sorry for bad english )

Regards,