Issue Stretch nfsroot on Trusty

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Thu Nov 15 01:37:47 CET 2018

Hi Thomas,

On Wed, 2018-11-14 at 14:03 +0100, Thomas Lange wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> is this a trusty nfsroot or a Debian nfsroot on a trusty server?
> Maybe
> send the fai-make-nfsroot.log to me.
> I've checked all Debian and Ubuntu basefiles I've created (using a
> debootstrap on a Debian machine) and they always include /dev/pts.
> Maybe
> the debootstrap on trusty do not create /dev/pts inside the nfsroot.

This is building a stretch nfsroot on a trusty server.

I've just run debootstrap manually as:

sudo debootstrap stretch test http://debian.catalyst.net.nz/debian

I: Retrieving Release
I: Retrieving Packages
I: Validating Packages
puck at trusty_server:~$ ls -l test/dev/pts
ls: cannot access test/dev/pts: No such file or directory
puck at trusty_server:~$

And building a jessie debootstrap, dev/pts does exist within it.

>     > This might just be an issue on Trusty, not sure, but Thomas,
> what do
>     > you think about adding that mkdir -p?
> I can do this, but I would like to know if debootstrap on Ubunu
> causes
> this issue.

I've repeated building stretch on a sid host and dev/pts does exist
within it.

On both trusty and sid, /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts/stretch and
jessie are all symlinks to the sid script.

Cheers,
Andrew

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand