Disable ipv6 during installation

Anders Jackson jackson at hig.se
Tue Mar 6 18:10:48 CET 2018

mån 2018-02-05 klockan 09:09 +0100 skrev Yann Bachy:
> The problem I have is the DNS replys to IPv6 requests, but the
> network not routing IPv6... To avoid getting into a time-out, I need
> to deactivate IPv6

This should not happen, as the IPv4 and IPv6 are resolved in parallell.

Do you have a global IPv6 address for the machine?  Do you have a IPv6
router for the network?  If not, then the machine doesn't use IPv6 at
all.  IF you have a router that doesn't forward packages, but id does
and if you get a global IPv6 address, then the problem is your network
configuration. It would be like not having IPv4 router but you have a
DHCP server that tell everyone that there are.

And yes, DNS resolve every name, doesn't care about which protocol you
use to resolve a name.  So yes, it is correct to get AAAA resources
even if you use IPv4 to ask the DNS server.

> And problem solved thanks to Sven Schumacher...

So the problem is a badly configured network, not the IPv6 in your
machine. You should fix the network, not the Linux configuration.

That said, yes you can turn of IPv6 by not loading the IPv6 module
(rmmod ipv6), remove the error in IPv6 configuration or disable IPv6 in
/etc/sysctl.conf (net.ipv6.*).

--
Anders Jackson, universitetsadjunkt i datavetenskap, Högskolan i Gävle
Tel: 026 648764 | Fax: 026 648758 | Webb: http://www.hig.se/

[Högskolan i Gävle]

Högskolan i Gävle, 801 76 Gävle • 026 64 85 00 • www.hig.se<http://www.hig.se>

För en hållbar livsmiljö för människan