UEFI + Legacy BIOS TFTP/PXELINUX

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jul 10 17:00:12 CEST 2018

Yeah, I'm sure. The syslinux-efi package works as advertized. I mean,
you cannot boot an EFI machine via pxelinux.0. That would hang.

Are you saying that you're not seeing a request for ldlinux.e64 right
after the request for syslinux.efi? There's no error message in the tftp
logs? File not found, permission denied, something? I can't explain
that. But after all, this isn't exactly an FAI problem. When I started
experimenting with the syslinux-efi package, I set it up to boot into
the ubuntu installer. In fact, that's how I made my base file for FAI
installs of bionic. But fai isn't really involved up to this point. It
has to be some kind of problem with tftp.

You can run a tftp client and get all the files you need during a pxe
boot .On the server, I say, "tail -f /var/log/syslog | grep tftp" and
then on the target machine (assuming linux is installed somehow), I run
the tftp client and get the bootloader, either pxelinux.0 or
syslinux.efi, the library file ldlinux.e64, and the config file. You
ought to see the log entries scroll by on the fai server.