setup-storage fails on blank disk

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Wed Jan 3 15:19:45 CET 2018

    > I have encountered a problem with setup-storage which occurs only when
    > the disk is blank, i.e. wiped with nwipe/dban or brand new.
This is very strange. I would only expect problems, if the disk is not wiped.

    > It then
    > fails on creating the LVM; running 'pvcreate' returns 'cannot open
    > /dev/sda5 exclusively'. I have attached the fai.log with all the details.
    > When I reboot the machine, which now has a partition table in place,
    > everything works fine. Same for reinstalling machines which were already
    > installed with earlier versions of FAI.
I took your disk_config file from the fai.log and did an installation
with FAI 5.5, kernel 4.9 and dracut 045+132-1 inside the nfsroot. Then
I started a new kvm machine with a fresh, empty disk. Everything works
fine. No problems.

So I cannot reproduce your error.