setup-storage fails on blank disk

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Wed Jan 3 13:53:40 CET 2018

Hello,

I have encountered a problem with setup-storage which occurs only when
the disk is blank, i.e. wiped with nwipe/dban or brand new. It then
fails on creating the LVM; running 'pvcreate' returns 'cannot open
/dev/sda5 exclusively'. I have attached the fai.log with all the details.
When I reboot the machine, which now has a partition table in place,
everything works fine. Same for reinstalling machines which were already
installed with earlier versions of FAI.
I can't exactly tell which FAI version we had in use when we last set up
a brand new machine - might be 5.3, might be even earlier, so the error
may already exist for a while.

Thanks,
Andreas