No /tmp/fai/, /tmp not writable

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 12 18:20:12 CET 2018

I'm having a problem with my FAI installs. The target machine comes
upunable to create a /tmp/fai/fai.log. So I can't really tell where the
problem begins. If I try to create the directory /tmp/fai/, I get the
error "Operation not permitted". I would assume that means the root file
system is mounted read-only.

This may be related to an upgrade I did recently. My FAI server was
running ubuntu 16.04. I had to upgrade it to 17.10 last week. That may
or may not have upgraded fai since I get fai from the fai repository
itself,.

PS: Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what the screen says on the target
machine. I'm blind. I used my phone to read it to me and it has a a
gazillion "file not found" messages.