A couple of questions about deploying opensuse 42.3 via FAI

Thomas Lange lange at informatik.uni-koeln.de
Tue Dec 18 13:52:32 CET 2018

    > using 'mk-basefile' and some modified rinse files in /etc/rinse and
    > /usr/lib/rinse.
It would be nice to submit the patches for rinse to me or to the
Debian bug tracking system.

    > Is it possible to have dbus working when using $CHROOTCMD in FAI?
Not sure. One thing we do not do in FAI is starting any daemons inside
the chroot environment. Until now we had no problems using this approach.

    > Is it a problem if dbus is not running in the chroot environment?
Do you have any problems because dbus is not running?

    > 2)
    > The 'mk_zerofree_list' function defined in the 'subroutines' file is
    > failing when installing opensuse 42.3.

    > Apparently the shell being used is not bash but dash.
    > But, isn't FAI using the /bin/sh file of the nfsroot?
/usr/sbin/fai is using /bin/bash in the first line, so I'm wondering
why is uses dash instead of bash.

    > Because that /bin/sh points to /bin/bash in the nfsroot... so, which
    > shell (I mean which binary) is using FAI for all its functions?
FAI must use bash.

P.S.: I'm always very interested in user experiences with FAI. Can you
please fill out the FAI questionnaire
http://fai-project.org/questionnaire
and send it back to me when you finished a project with FAI.