Patch to support NFS diskless clients and BTRFS subvolumes

Frank Steinberg steinberg at ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
Mon Nov 20 13:47:37 CET 2017

Hi Thomas et al,

I am using FAI happily for a couple of years. In some situations, I have to setup clients with BTRFS including multiple subvolumes, and in recent cases I prefer to install diskless clients using NFS root filesystems. I've attached my patch (sorry, just based a freshly created nfsroot directory) that allows me to use this in disk_config files:

disk_config btrfs
btrfs single	/			disk1.3		defaults,noatime,compress=lzo
btrfs single  	/opt			disk1.3		subvol=@opt,defaults,noatime,compress=lzo
btrfs single  	/var/lib/mysql		disk1.3		subvol=@mysql,defaults,noatime,nodatacow

and:

disk_config nfs
nfs 134.169.??.??:/export/vm-root/HOSTNAME	/	defaults

Feel free to consider this for integration into your Git branch.

 -frank

PS: If I remember correctly, we have previously discussed the btrfs subvolume topic. I cannot recall your point of view. However, I still think this is useful and I do use it at our site. :-)