Fwd: Adding Macs with FAI

Andreas Heinlein aheinlein at gmx.com
Sun Jun 18 22:36:57 CEST 2017

Am 16.06.2017 um 22:33 schrieb BMIRC System Administrator:
> Hello,
>
> We are trying to create an FAI CD with FAI 5 that can boot in EFI
> mode, however from our research, it does not appear that FAI supports
> EFI booting. We are trying to install a Mac machine with FAI so that
> we can add this machine to our cluster and since the Macs don't
> support PXE, we are trying to make an FAI CD that is EFI bootable.
>
> Has anyone successfuly made an FAI CD that can boot in EFI mode or had
> success adding a Mac OS client with FAI through other means?
>
> Thanks

I created an EFI compatible FAI-CD last week... I just wanted to test it
a little before publishing the necessary changes here. So far it works
for me with both 64bit and 32bit EFI firmwares. It does not support
secure boot, though. I had problems with the grub menu in EFI mode,
however. For some weird reason the menu was all black, i.e. invisible,
except for the currently highlighted line. The same grub.cfg works with
GRUB-PC as usual.

There are also some changes necessary to the installation; some are
already prepared in the current FAI version but they're not complete.

I will try to find some time next week to do that, at least I can share
the necessary changes here.

Bye,

Andreas