Problem with Serial ATA RAID (aka "fake RAID" or "BIOS RAID")

Giorgio Buffa giorgiobuffa.work at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 16:50:28 CEST 2017

Hello list,

I've tried a client standalone installation via a USB stick (created from
the FAI ISO large image) using the "Simple" profile from the examples.
During the installation some errors were reported (see files attached).

The problem is the following: my system has 2 HDDs that I've put into a
single RAID1 array (mirroring) prior to the installation using the
capabilities provided by Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST), which is a
sort of SATA/fake/BIOS RAID. After the installation, the system doesn't
boot, i.e. GRUB is not executed.

My feeling is that I have to modify my USB stick by (i) adding the mdadm
package and (ii) updating the script that configures GRUB.

Do you have any sort of experience with that kind of setup? In general, is
it better to avoid Intel RST in place of a pure software RAID using mdadm?

Thank you in advance for any suggestion and best regards,

Giorgio B.