/tmp not writable when booting from NFS

Dieter Scholz rd-disc at gmx.net
Mon Feb 13 20:48:01 CET 2017

Hello,

> Do you have any references which say NFS export is not possible with
overlay-fs?

I read about it in the kernel docs. But I reviewed it and it's vice
versa - overlayfs on top of NFS does not work.

But the fact is that my nfs on top of overlayfs does not start with the
message :

exportfs: /srv/fai/config does not support NFS export

Here's the content of my exports file:

/srv/fai/config
$FCP_FAICD_IP/$FCP_CIDR(fsid=1,async,ro,no_subtree_check,crossmnt)
/srv/fai/nfsroot
$FCP_FAICD_IP/$FCP_CIDR(fsid=2,async,ro,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash,crossmnt)

I tried various alternatives - without success. If I mount and export
the underlying squashfs, the exports are working but I get lots of
errors concerning read only /tmp when booting the install client (see my
screenshot attached).

Nearly the same setup works under Jessie (with aufs).

Kind regards,

Dieter