Ubuntu Artful

Robert Markula robert at markula.org
Wed Dec 27 20:11:30 CET 2017

On 27.12.2017 um 19:59 John G Heim wrote:
> All I remember is that it suggested booting from a live Ubuntu ISO and
> then running pbuilder. It doesn't look as if mk-basefile uses pbuilder
> though which confuses me.

Creating a basefile using a live ISO is really easy. First you install
the required packages:

# apt-get -y install pbuilder debootstrap

Then you create the basefile:

# pbuilder create | tee /root/pbuilder.log

The '| tee...' part is not really necessary of course, but I like having
a log around in case anything goes wrong.

The base image gets saved to /var/cache/pbuilder/base.tgz. It just needs
to be renamed to CLASS_NAME.tar.gz where CLASS_NAME is the name of the
class you are assigning your clients to. Mind the .tar.gz file
extension. Move the file to the FAI 'basefiles' directory and there you go.

Cheers,

Robert