FAI installation - problems with apt-https

René Bleisch accounts at climate.unibe.ch
Mon Aug 14 11:42:11 CEST 2017

Dear all,
I just had problems with a FAI-installation.
Everything went ok until "task_repository".
But then the "apt-get update" failed:

Calling task_updatebase
Updating base
Ign file: KUP/ InRelease
Get:1 file: KUP/ Release.gpg [490 B]
Get:2 file: KUP/ Release [844 B]
Ign file: KUP/ Translation-en
Ign http://mirror.switch.ch jessie InRelease
Ign http://stat.ethz.ch jessie-cran3/ InRelease
Get:3 http://mirror.switch.ch jessie-updates InRelease [145 kB]
Get:14 http://www.deb-multimedia.org jessie/main amd64 Packages [125 kB]
Get:15 http://fai-project.org jessie Release [6747 B]
E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/https could not be found.

Seemingly, apt tries to contact a package source over https - but all my
sources in sources.list(.d) are just http-addresses.
I could solve the problem by removing one of my additional package
sources from my apt-repository (which seems to link to a https-page),
but this is only a workaround, not a real solution.

Generally, https apt-sources seem to make problems only during
fai-installations, but not during fai-softupdates.
Googleing indicated that the package "apt-transport-https" is needed to
be able to use https-sources. This package is installed on my FAI-system
by default - hence its no problem for softupdates.

However, its only installed during "task_instsoft", but it needs already
to be present before "task_updatebase" to get it to work during
fai-installations.

I thought I could get this by adding it to the nfsroot, but I still got
the same apt error during the FAI-installation ...
I found the following lines in "fai-make-nfsroot.log", maybe thats why
it still doesn't work:
||Setting up dracut (044+241-1~bpo8+1) ...
dracut: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64
dracut: Couldn't find SSL CA cert bundle; HTTPS won't work.
dracut-install: ERROR: installing 'cryptsetup'
dracut: FAILED: /usr/lib/dracut/dracut-install -D
/var/tmp/dracut.JnLbCQ/initramfs -a cryptsetup rmdir readlink umount
Setting up linux-image-3.16.0-4-amd64 (3.16.43-2+deb8u2) ...
dracut: Couldn't find SSL CA cert bundle; HTTPS won't work.
dracut-install: ERROR: installing 'cryptsetup'
dracut: FAILED: /usr/lib/dracut/dracut-install -D
/var/tmp/dracut.59612o/initramfs -a cryptsetup rmdir readlink umount

=> does someone have a FAI-setup where apt-https is working during
installations?
=> is the nfsroot even the right place to add packages which should
already be installed before "task_softupdate" - like
"apt-transport-https"? It just came into my mind that I eventually made
an error in reasoning and I should maybe better add the package to the
basefile...

Regards
René