No pxe boot on virtual box guests

Frank Thommen f.thommen at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Tue Jan 26 16:36:55 CET 2016

Hi Chris,

> Thomas went through all steps with me for a couple of days.. and we both come the conclusion
> that Virtual Box must be the culprit.
> I’ve a faiserver as guest and want to pxe boot another guest; the client gets an IP address but not the pxelinux.0
> Connecting locally on the faiserver with a tftp client the download works, hence the tftp server works.
>
> Does anyone know about this problem with/among VBox guests among each other?
>
> I checked all kinds of network VBox offers: Nat, Nat network, Internal Network, Bridged.. no way.
>
> Thanks so much!
>
> Best,
> Chris

I'd confirm your findings:  I tried a similar setup a while ago (FAI 4
server and FAI client as VB guests on an OpenSuSE 13 host) with a myriad
if different VB network settings and none worked. I finally gave up
after a few days.  However it worked fine, when having the FAI server as
VB guest and the FAI client being a real ("metal") PC in our network. I
  consluded, that the internal VB PXE/TFTP/Bootp server was "somehow"
interfering with FAI's.

My conclusion: Save your energy and don't try this kind of setup :-)

frank