No pxe boot on virtual box guests

Ronald Steele rsteele at adaptivemethods.com
Tue Feb 9 22:29:11 CET 2016

I’ve been playing around with it some more.

I mounted the (virtual) disk from the failed install onto FAI server to take a look at it.  There is nothing in /boot. I’m guessing
grub didn’t get installed either.  Oddly, I’m no longer getting the int18 error message.  The VM just pops up a terminal window and hangs.
As a test i copied files from faiserver:/boot to the client:/boot, but this didn’t do anything (nor was it expected to if grub is missing).

From the error log on the faiserver I see:

fai.log:WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
fai.log:modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:557 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/mo
dules/3.16.0-4-amd64/modules.dep.bin'
fai.log:modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:557 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/mo
dules/3.16.0-4-amd64/modules.dep.bin'
fai.log:WARNING: These unknown packages are removed from the installation list: grub-legacy- lilo-
fai.log:WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!

I don’t know  at what point /boot would be populated and when grub gets installed, but this looks like
a problem to me.

Any insights?

Ron